Introduction to the Fable Blockly software and the Fable robot's basic movement functions.
Pupils develop confidence to programme the Fable robot.
To get started with this learning process, the teacher is expected to have the following resources ready prior to teaching:
- Fable robots (including the LEGO modules)
- Laptops with the Fable software installed
- Projector to show the Intro video
Pupils are split into groups of 2-3, depending on the number of pupils and the number of robots available.
Some knowledge of block programming, from either code.org or Scratch would be an advantage.
An added advantage would be if pupils have prior knowledge or will work with concepts such as:
- What is an algorithm?
- A loop
- How does the computer read the code in Blockly? (from the top down, step by step).
Class gathering when pupils present their results.
Pupils can also complete individual assessment sheets. The assessment can be used for the pupil's own assessment, as part of a class discussion or as guidance for the teacher for future lessons.
- Think also how a formative assessment could be included as part of the lesson.